Sunday, October 15, 2006

I feel rather old right now. Yesterday, I joined my fellow alumni rugby players and suited up once more during the alumni homecoming game. We played our current team in thankfully shortened game. In the first 5 minutes, the alumni team utterly dominated the current players. Talent and experience weighed heavily in a favor until we ran out of breath. For most of us, this game represents the first strenuous activity in nearly a year. Soon the current players figured out that they could simply run around us rather then through us. The game ended a tie with each team playing to its talents. By early evening, ever muscle in my body began to ache and show its age. I nearly feel asleep waiting to be seated for dinner. Today, my walk belongs to a man at least 3 times my age. Regardless how fiercely my body protests, I loved playing with the guys again. My best college memories were those cold rain practices out on the intramural field. Even though rugby aversely affected my academic performance, I would still play rugby if I had to redo college. As Shakespeare put it, "For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home